SART background image

Youth support

Exit this site quickly


The age of consent is the age at which a young person can legally agree to sexualized activity.

What's the age of consent?

16. It's criminal for a person 16 years of age or older to have sexual relations with a person under the age of 16.

These are the exceptions

  • 14- or 15 year-olds can consent to sexual activity with a person if they're fewer than 5 years older.
  • 12- or 13 year-olds can consent to sexual activity with a person who is fewer than 2 years older.

No one under the age of 18 can legally consent to sexualized activity with someone:

  • they're dependent on;
  • who's exploiting them; or
  • who's in a position of trust or authority over them.

Are you under 19 years old and have experienced sexualized assault?

If you've experienced sexualized assault, remember, it's never your fault. If you're under 19 years of age, you've several options:

  • If you want to and you're comfortable, tell an adult you trust who can help support you.
  • Phone the SART support line 1-844-967-7275 to get support, find out your options, or access services. If you tell them you're under the age of 19, the support line worker may have a duty to report the assault to Family and Children’s Services or the RCMP. They'll make sure you're informed of the process.
  • If you need medical attention, you can go to the Whitehorse General Hospital. You can get a sexualized assault examination from a specially trained medical provider.
  • If you are in a community and need medical attention, go to the nearest health centre.
  • If you'd like support with navigation of legal processes, contact Victim Services. Phone 867-667-8500.
  • If you'd like to talk to a counsellor, contact Mental Wellness and Substance Use. Phone 867-456-3838.

How can you support a child who's been a victim of a crime?

  • Be there to listen.
  • Reassure them that what happened is not their fault.
  • Thank them for telling you.
  • Accept that everyone responds to trauma differently.
  • Understand your own feelings and take care of yourself.
  • Discuss their options for accessing support with them.

You have a duty to report sexualized assault

  • If a person under the age of 19 tells you they've been sexually assaulted, and:
  • you feel that they're not safe; or
  • a parent is sexually abusing them; or
  • they will not be protected from the abuse by their parents.
  • Contact Family and Children’s Services to report the assault.

Give us your feedback